Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Graveyard Work

As part of our work with ancestors, we (my apprentice and I) have started visiting graveyards.

One in rural Ohio was particularly special. It is a pioneer graveyard, never plowed, and has become a state wildflower preserve. The graves start in 1816 and end in the 1890's. Many were infants and women who died in childbirth. There was an entire family, who was wiped out by illness, too. Hard times on the prarie back then.

We had to pull back the wildflowers to get shots of the grave markers.


Most of the markers are under these prairie flowers. Only tall ones and ones near cleared paths are visible.

See how high?

Purple Cone Flowers and Royal Fly Catcher









This was a particularly gorgeous stone.




A Mason! I always like getting dirt from these folks.




Hello Milkweed, my friend.



1 comment:

  1. Wonderful pictures! I always find it a bit sad when a cemetery is left to overgrow, kinda like the people are left alone. Weird I know.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome but moderated. Please be respectful when leaving a comment.