Monday, July 2, 2012

Puttering Around the Homestead

My neighbor and I have been steadily improving our homestead as time, energy, and money allows. This is for economy, sustainability, and aesthetic reasons. Today, we (my neighbor, me, her kids, my kid) all worked on the beautifying end of things.

What is this you are seeing? It is the top of the table from Rowan's room. We got it second-hand, already covered in crayon marks. Today, while we paint other things, I am spraying the top with chalkboard paint.
This way, he has an "art nook" in his room.

My neighbor and I are starting a long project: a mosaic. we got a bunch of tiles donated, but not all have the colors we want. Our solution? Paint the tiles!

We decided to make this a kid-friendly project, so all the kids got involved, painting tiles.

How fun is that? And they will be able to point to their contribution when the mosaic is all done!

My neighbor, painting.

Chalkboard painted tabletop!

Here we are, heating an etched bottle, right before we plunge it into ice water to break it. We are using the bottoms to edge our sidewalk and the tops as hurricane lamps, candlabras, and wind chimes.

Etch etch etch.

Broken bottles. Two down, hundreds more to go. Sigh.

4 comments:

  1. wow! this is awesome! I love your imagination.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there any way you can give more detail about your project with the bottles? It sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, y'all! I have numerous outdoor applications isted for bottles on my PInterest boards, "DIY I wanna Do: OUTSIDE" and here are some specific projects (click the image for a tutorial):

    Wind Chimes
    Garden Edging
    Tiki Torches
    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! When we get settled into our own place I would love to try some of these.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome but moderated. Please be respectful when leaving a comment.