Friday, September 23, 2011

Practical Magic Blog Party!

This is a post for the Practical Magic Blog Party! Check out the dozens of posts here, all inspired by this movie that so many love.

OK, I am admitting it- out loud and in public. I enjoy Practical Magic (the movie and the book). For the sake of this blog post (blogs being a visual medium and all) I will talk about the movie this time around. Why do I love this kitchy film*? First off, who wouldn't want Dianne Wiest and Stockard Channing as their doting aunties and Witchcraft mentors? They are funny, practical and fierce.

Second, Practical Magic is one of the rare movies out there that portray Witches with a sense of humanity and fairness while also showing some of the problems Witches face out in the world. It shows that magic(k) has consequences, some of which you cannot anticipate. It shows how flawed Witches can be, despite having "powers".

OMG this kitchen is amazing.
And ultimately, my gods- I love that house! That house is the be-all and end all of houses. New England architecture and landscape calls to me like no other place on earth. (I am convinced that I lived on the rugged choppy coast, where forest meets rocky shore before. While I did not live in such a magnificent palace in my mind's eye, I would never turn down such an offer!) That house is a Witch's palace.

From the spellworkings done in the greenhouse to the digging a grave near the rose arbor in the yard, to the jumping from the roof to entertain the kids on Halloween to the infamous "Midnight Margaritas" scene in the kitchen, the movie and this house inspires good memories. Would that all Witches have such a building to contain their work and inspire them so!

I leave you with a scene from the movie that makes me giggle each time:



*For the record, I also love Rosemary's Baby and The Wicker Man. Oh yes, I do.

14 comments:

  1. my dream kitchen!! ::sigh::

    Love this movie!! Love your blog!!
    :)

    -A

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I totally agree with you about the great house and the fabulous kitchen and the hilarity of the midnight margaritas. I never tire of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. couldn't agree more this is one of my absolute favourites.

    Raven Shoshone

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful party this is!!
    Love this movie!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post and party. I just love the movie and the house too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the invite it is lovely to met you...your post is a fun tribute to the movie and novel we all love..and yes i love that house.Midnight margarites rule.... please pop over when you get time ... Hugs wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post , thanx for inviting me!! Come visit me..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh the house! I would love to have it too!! Thank you for a wonderful time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, I am visiting form the Practical Magic Blog party. :D I agree about the house...it was the star of the movie! That kitchen and conservatory are *to die for* Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that is the real reason they dismantled the house...too many people would be battling it out to buy it! What a waste! Gorgeous home indeed...love the kitchen/pantry/conservatory, that there are 2 staircases, attic rooms, and a tower with a 2 level widow's walk...etc. etc.
    ::sigh::
    BB,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. We all have to have our guilty pleasures and like you, this movie is one of mine. I love the house and the way the movie plays on all of my romantic notions of witchery (and then some). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually don't think that the film is kitschy... :)

    Magical Times,
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry I'm late attending the party but glad I came. Great post, love that house and the aunt's, it's one film I never tire of watching just for the visuals.

    frith
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are all in love with that house!! :)

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Meanderings

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome but moderated. Please be respectful when leaving a comment.