Sunday, September 25, 2011

Gratitude

So I am writing this from on the road, on Mabon actually- from a dining room table in Denver, CO and a desk in a Motel 6 in Indianapolis- furniture that does not belong to me.

In fact, everything that I own is either somewhere on a truck headed for Ohio (I hope!) or stuffed into my car. I have no more house keys- just a car key. It is simultaneously liberating and strange. I am very much a Taurus- earthy and rooted and I get attached to things.

Most nights, we stayed in Motel 6's: Wells, Nevada; Laramie, Wyoming; Columbia, Missouri; and now Indianapolis, Indiana. They are cheap and pet-friendly. As a weary traveler arriving with a cranky toddler and two frustrated parrots, I am grateful how easy they have been (although my back aches from the awful beds). In between, we stayed with other initiates of our Witchcraft tradition, wonderful friends- they opened their home to us and we stayed an extra whole day to visit.

Sitting at their dining room table, coffee in hand, I realize how profoundly grateful I am for my life and the people in it. I guess it is that time of year- Mabon is a Witchy thanksgiving of sorts. So I am taking the time to really feel my gratitude, since a sabbat ritual will not be happening today (today is the last of our driving days- tonight we sleep in Ohio!)

I am grateful for my Witch family- an almost invisible (to outsiders) network of people across the world who don't get all showy about their connection to the gods- because they don't have to. I am so grateful for tribe of all sorts, including my Rad Fae kin. I am grateful for my immediate family- my partner, my ex-wife, my son, my two parrots, and my Witch mama and siblings. I am grateful to have what resources that I do have- a car to get us across the country, places to stop, and great ideas to ponder and learn about in school. I am grateful for the food I eat today- with friends and family. I am grateful for the family that awaits us in Ohio, with promises of shelter, an oil change, and open arms.

I know that you reading this after the fact (there are posts queued up before this one), but Happy Mabon, y'all! For what are you grateful today?

2 comments:

  1. Happy Mabon to you also, and I hope you have arrived safely and well!

    Right now, I am thankful for: my partner, my children, my mother, my fellowship of UUs, the change in weather for the cooler, Viking festivals, and all the wonderful people I have been coming to know through their blogs. It's fantastic to feel surrounded by so many supportive and understanding voices! And the weather means sweaters and hot chocolate - autumn is my favorite season - hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Mabon!

    I am sending happy/positive thoughts to you as you make your voyage!! I always check your blogs to see how things are going for you :)

    I am thankful for a beautiful home, a job that pays my bills, my perfect husband, my loving family and my pup and witchy-kitty :)

    blessed be!
    -A

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome but moderated. Please be respectful when leaving a comment.