Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Things Look Different Now

Rowan enjoying the disco ball (he loves sparkles)
at one of our frequent cafés. He loves to
point out lots of items and ask their names.
Many of you may remember I blogged once before about how Rowan opened my eyes in the supermarket and made me more present. He started flapping excitedly and pointing all over the supermarket at things that I was oblivious to (as I was in pre-holiday shop tunnel-vision). His enthusiasm for mylar balloons opened me up to see see the shiny happy reality of where I was that day, instead of narrowly focusing on my list and the next item to cross off.

Since becoming a mom, I have changed. How I see and experience the world has changed. I know this is a cliché thing to say, but that does not make it any less true. I have always been a "do-er" and I like focusing on the next task, getting stuff done. Rowan has made me more present and mindful. My son has opened me up to experience the world anew- again with wonder and joy. And for that I am indebted and grateful to him.

Common everyday experiences  have new meanings now. I live in a larger city where the neighbors are always trying to get cars to slow down on residential streets. So they lobby to install speed bumps on many of them. I always found them a nuisance. I don't drive super fast, but unless you slow down to 10 MPH or so, the contents of your trunk go flying. Now I intentionally drive down streets like this- why?

My son's giggle and his adorable enthusiasm for the word "BUMP!" Is there anything more heartwarming and hilarious than seeing two parents saying, "Okay, here it comes Rowan- BUMP!" (and then their toddler giggling and saying, "Heh Heh! BUMP!"). He has made us appreciate small things and love them.

How has being a parent changed you for the better?

2 comments:

  1. I like that your son notices things like disco balls and that you go to a cafe that has a disco ball. As for your question, that's a lot to answer. Having kids has made me face a lot of things I wasn't dealing with. At least for me, in order to have the kind of attached relationship I'd like to have with my kids, I'm forced to confront and let go of emotional baggage. Then, I can move from a place of lovingkindness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bridget notices so many things that I wouldn't notice. She reminds me to slow down and appreciate where we are now. She thinks it's worth pointing out very bike, every dog, every tree, every kid that we pass on the street. She's not wrong!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome but moderated. Please be respectful when leaving a comment.