Friday, January 21, 2011

National Hug Day!

Today is National Hug Day, and I want to stress that it is more than a silly meaningless holiday. Hugs, indeed all positive touch, are so important. Humans are social animals and we need to be touched by others for our well being. While it is true for all humans. it is especially important for babies and children to be touched positively all throughout their brain and social development. Indeed, there is speculation in science that touch establishes the foundation of all other forms of communication developed later in life.

There are studies that show touch is actually an analgesic (pain reliever) when children are hurt. Remember kissing the boo boo? That actually works! It helps form the social bonds between parent and child, between lovers, and more.

When people that are deprived of touch, children often grow into juveniles and adults who show tendencies toward physical violence, sleep disorders, suffer from suppressed immune systems and even show some tendencies toward impaired growth development.

Hug your kid and an unexpected someone today!

3 comments:

  1. I have always highly valued hugs. I give them out all the time because I honestly believe they are one of the best ways of making someone feel good. :) I guess my belief is right. I hope you receive a great hug today.

    Also, random information, it's Squirrel Appreciation Day as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So... hug as many squirrels (and people) as you can today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I firmly beleive this also..... hugs all the time for lil one and my family.
    Jo.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome but moderated. Please be respectful when leaving a comment.