Saturday, October 23, 2010

So Many Pagan Parents!

The Pagan Census reports that 41.3% of all pagans answering the Census have children, and only .02% did not respond to the question on whether they had kids- so this is a fairly accurate number. There are so many of us!

It's about time we started organizing ourselves and demanding accomodation from our communities, too.

Going to a gathering or conference? Where's the childcare, damn it?

While I am taking initiative and running an independent co-op model childcare at an annual gathering that I regularly attend, it is only because I have been forced to do it myself. The organizers have failed to meet the needs of the community, and in order for my family to participate, I've needed to fill in the gap myself. It should not have to be this way.

We need to start building infrastructure that supports us- co-op childcare, group homeschooling communities, spiral scouts groups, playdates, and so much more. A place to start are the new Witch Mom forums. Join, introduce yourself, and start the discussion about parent inclusion in the pagan community!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but moderated. Please be respectful when leaving a comment.